The parents of British 11-year-old Kian McGreath said the melted plastic stuck to his legs and he had to be rushed to University Hospital Coventry, reported The Guardian.
The spontaneous combustion is said to have set the duvet and mattress on fire in his bedroom.
A statement from RIM released yesterday (Wednesday) read: “A senior member of our team met with the family yesterday to initiate a full investigation into this matter.
"In order to proceed with this investigation we require the products that were involved in this incident to be made available for a full technical review. At this point in time the family has not provided RIM with the battery or charger for analysis and have said they are unable to locate the device itself.
“We have a team on standby to conduct this investigation as a priority as soon as the family makes these products available to us."
The Curve 9320 is targeted at the youth market with the slogan “Your social life at your fingertips”.
It is not the first story of its kind. When the iPhone 4 was released were reports of handsets emitting sparks and smoke in Brazil and Australia.