According to the commission’s director of compliance monitoring and enforcement, U.A.S. Maska, every telecoms network should submit to the commission the summary of its unregistered, registered and active lines as at June 30, 2013.
This directive according to the commission is in line with section 15 (2) of the NCC’s Registration of Telephone Subscribers Regulations 2011. Maska said the directive is to enable the commission to confirm that all unregistered lines have been fully deactivated.
He added that henceforth networks are to forward to the commission details of subscribers’ registration as directed in Regulation 13(4) of the NCC’s Registration of Telephone Subscribers Registration 2011, which states that: “[Mobile operators are] to forward on a weekly basis thereafter, details of the registrations of the Biometric information and other personal information of new lines registered to the Commission for entry thereafter into the Central Database.”
HumanIPO reported last week on the controversy surrounding SIM card registration, with the NCC and network operators failing to agree on the fate of unregistered lines.
While the regulatory body has said no unregistered line will be reconnected, some operators are reconnecting users after the affected subscribers had visited their customer centres for registration.