Cc image courtesy of Rameshng
The consumer group had gone to court late last year blocking the planned switch off of the analogue broadcasting signal, saying the move would deny Kenyans education during the general election and arguing prices were too high for consumers to afford.
COFEK says the withdrawal of the case follows a three week consultation process with the Ministry of ICT, with the lawyers of the respective parties signing a no-cost consent today.
COFEK has withdrawn its case against Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) to allow for the digital television migration process to proceed,” a statement read on its website.
Speaking during a press conference addressed by ICT cabinet secretary Fred Matiangi, CCK director general Francis Wangusi and COFEK secretary general Stephen Mutoro said the government had constituted a nine-member digital migration stakeholders forum to be chaired by the consumer lobby.
The forum will work with the digital television committee, with the first meeting set for July 1, and will have several issues to discuss, including developing an action plan, mapping, switch-off phases and a calendar on the planned migration.
The committee is also expected to discuss issues surrounding how to lower the cost of set top boxes in the country.
On the issue of the third digital distribution licence COFEK said it backed the issuance of the licence to the Media Owners Association (MOA).