Safaricom Foundation make $21 million investment over 10 years

Safaricom Foundation make $21 million investment over 10 years

The Safaricom Foundation has implemented more than 700 projects in the last 10 years, contributing over KSh1.8 billion (US$21 million) to impact the lives of the less fortunate in Kenya.

Safaricom Foundation, which carries out Kenyan network operator Safaricom’s charitable and corporate social responsibility (CSR) work, seeks to make positive contributions to communities in Kenya through financial and technical support.

Joseph Ogutu, Safaricom Foundation chairman, said the celebration was a moment of reflection and acknowledgment of the innovation and goodwill of communities, the strength of partnerships and the immense contribution of Safaricom staff.

“We have ten years of results, demonstrated by sustainable programmes and strong and enduring community partnerships countrywide,” Ogutu said. “We don’t just give a cheque, we get involved through the entire life cycle of the project, we monitor projects, and we have an active staff participation programme.”

Bob Collymore, chief executive officer (CEO) at Safaricom, said Safaricom believes that corporate social investments goes far beyond acts of philanthropy, but is a powerful contributor to sustainable development.

Some of the notable projects seen through by Safaricom include 830,000 Kenyans receiving specialised health services through mobile medical camps and more than 680,000 learning in classrooms built by the foundation.

232,000 people have also been economically empowered through community based income generation projects and 172,000 people can access clean and safe water for domestic use through community water projects.

Vodafone, one of the major shareholders in the telecommunications company, provides 15 per cent of funds for the Safaricom Foundation and Safaricom Limited provides the other 85 per cent.


Posted in: PolicyTelecoms

Latest headlines

Latest by Category

Tweets about "humanipo"