South Africa’s Commission for Gender Equality (CGE) has confirmed it has received a complaint over South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) acting chief operating officer (COO) allegedly accepting a wife as a gift in Limpopo last week and is investigating.
HumanIPO reported last week the Sowetan newspaper revealed traditional Venda chiefs in Thohoyandou, Limpopo, on Wednesday gave the controversial Motsoeneng a wife, a cow and a calf.
The newspaper reports 10 women were lined up for Motsoeneng to choose from, with the woman he chose – a 23-year-old human resources management student – pictured bare-breasted next to him.
“The Commission for Gender Equality (CGE) acknowledges receipt of a complaint on the above mentioned matter. We will not providing the details on the merits and the demerits of the case as this will prejudice the investigation currently underway,” said CGE spokesperson Javu Baloyi.
“The Commission will also not be responding to media questions and enquiries while this investigation is underway. As soon as the investigation is completed, the complainant as well as those interested in the outcomes of the investigation will be informed, and a formal public statement will be issued.”
Mudzi executive secretary Humbelani Nemakonde said at the time Motsoeneng received the gifts because he was “committed to his job and understands the strategic objectives of the SABC”.
“The girls were around 10 and they paraded for him to choose. He chose the one he liked,” Nemakonde was quoted as saying. “All the girls were there with their parents. Their parents knew what was going to happen and they all agreed.”
HumanIPO reported in February public protector Thuli Madonsela released her report into various allegations surrounding the SABC, finding the appointment of Motsoeneng was irregular and based on lies by him about his qualifications, as well as finding he gave himself numerous pay increments, while also confirming his role in a string of irregular employment practices, massive financial losses, and unlawful conduct at the state broadcaster.
Madonsela asked then-communications minister Yunus Carrim to find a suitable candidate to replace Motsoeneng within 90 days of her report.
However, Motsoeneng said at the end of last month he had not yet received any communication from his employer since the publication of the public protector’s report, in spite of the 90 day deadline lapsing.